Top Social

New year’s resolution?

Monday 24 December 2018


It’s the end of the year again, that time of the year where I start questioning myself, “what have I been doing this past year?” Usually I can’t recall much, just feeling like another year has gone like that. Every year people ask me, what’s your new year’s resolution & sadly, every year I fail to complete my “new year’s resolution” (the failure part of my resolution is to workout weekly & get fit btw HAHAAHA).

Sometime last week, I had this casual chat with a friend of mine (talking bout you Bella! 😂) about weddings, thoughts on life & random stuff. Out of the blue she asked me, “What’s your new year’s resolution?” which inspired me to write this post.

Sometime this year in April, one of my dogs passed away due to old age. He was the first dog I had that I got see him grow from a tiny puppy the size of guinea pig to a fully grown doggo. He hated taking a bath & he’d only allow me to scrub him when he has to, staring at me with his kind hazel brown eyes. Towards the end of his life with us, I was mostly away due to my studies abroad & never got to spend as much time as I did before. I still remember the night before he passed, I could see it in his eyes that he was suffering, but when I smiled at him, he’d smile back to tell me that it was okay. He then left us the next morning.

His passing made me regret not bonding with him as much as I should have, even though I probably wont be able to answer you how much time would even be “enough” as things like this will never be enough. I think us humans are greedy when it comes to time. We take for granted that it’ll always be there, but it goes by so fast & we complain it’s never enough.

Ever since I started working I had a taste of what it was like to be living the “sad life” (as quoted by my little cousin). Repeating everyday like a routine with weekends flying by like nothing. (Don’t get me wrong but I love what I’m currently doing now hahaha!) Often when you start working, you’ll get caught up in work that you forget to enjoy the life infront of you. I’m somewhat a workaholic in a way that i’ll get too focused at work & forget about the time. This year & the years to come, I don’t wanna be thinking about the things I’ve done throughout the year & be like, wow I’ve done nothing.

My new year’s resolution is to take some time for myself at least twice a year, to take up a hobby class, do charity, learn something new or go on a trip. I’ve always missed the days where I went for art classes every weekend & that accomplished, proud feeling that I get when I’ve completed an artwork. Maybe one day I’ll paint something again? I’ve also always wanted to learn a new language (Korean!) & maybe work on my cantonese more hahah! Doing pottery, flower arrangements, soap making... the list goes on.

There are so many things that I love & always wanted to do but never got on to doing just because I’ve always felt like “I’ll have time for that”. Time flies & you wont know when your time is up either. Maybe its too soon to say but I want to make use of everyday doing the things I love & being happy. Lucky I’m quite a forgetful person & often don’t hold grudges because often I just can’t remember them!

Although going into the working life or maybe starting your own family life, there’s going to commitments, but to me, you can still take time for yourself as this is your life. I don’t wanna be like 50 & only getting to enjoy life because the kids are all grown up.

Time is precious. Do what makes you happy & be kind :)

That’s my new year’s resolution. What’s yours? 
Post Comment
Post a Comment