Top Social

MOSAIC @ Mandarin Oriental

Sunday 26 July 2015
Hey peeps! So I recently celebrated my first year anniversary with le boyfriend but wasn't sure if I should post it up or not since it was a private matter. So not much details about it will be mentioned here but instead I shall give you guys a food review on our dinner place! <3 It was all a surprise & I didn't know where we were heading for dinner & he brought me walking around KLCC & suddenly to the outside & oh, I found out we were having dinner at MOSAIC @ Mandarin Oriental. He chose this place because he's been here before 2 years ago & felt like the food was worth the price. Buffets don't normally have the best food but since he's chosen it so I'll give it a try :P Wasn't really hungry because we had a late lunch & I had rice. LOL He should have hinted to me because it was such a waste not to be able to eat much for a buffet!! Anyway, here are the photos!



* * *


The interior looks stunning! So expensive looking & of course full of mosaic decor!


The starters bar filled with all sorts of appetizers that I've never seen before.


The sushi bar, doesn't have much choices of sushi or seafood.


The salad bar, perfect for salad lovers!


They served 2 types of soup that day, spicy seafood tofu soup which tasted like shark fin soup, & roasted tomato soup which was very flavorful & a great starter dish. Both soups were yummy but I like the chinese style one more ahahah!


So this is the grilled section I think. Loved the grilled vegetables & the chicken wasn't dry at all! Didn't really like the herby taste of the sausage but my boyfriend liked it so I guess it depends on individual.


This was beside the grilled stuff & you just pick whatever you want & a staff will cook it for you. Waiting time is around 8 minutes if there were no orders before yours. This was all cooked just right & none of them were to hard or whatever. 


Then we have the Indian section, I felt like this was just okay. Not too authentic & I guess it's kind of commercialized so it was just a meh... I prefer authentic Indian food!


Bread section for people who eat bread for dinner?? ahaha I'm more of a rice person for dinner so didn't try the bread at all. But it looks nice though.


Now this is the place for dessert lovers!! MOSAIC serves a pretty wide range of desserts as compared to the savory food they have. 


Chocolate pops! So cute, so cute.


No idea what are those but their presentation is spot on ;)


Of course there's a fruit bar because not everyone eats desserts.


& in every buffet, a chocolate fondue is a must!! They don't have marshmallows to dip but they have other less common food that can be dipped in the fondue.


Classy but still very oriental decor. Ambiance 5 stars!


Since we had a reservation, we were given this little private corner which was so lovely & they had really excellent service too! Service 5 stars!


My handsome one <3


Kiddo me. Wearing the vest he got me! Ahh just love it! Been wanting to get it the first time I saw it in Forever 21 & even tried it on! But I felt like I wouldn't really wear it that often so didn't buy it... But was so happy when he got it for me & that I could wear it for dinner! Guys should do that more often for their girlfriends. Like pick out an outfit for them specially for a date, obviously please have good taste before doing that la if not your girlfriend will go mad. hahahah!


First thing I headed to get was the raw seafood! I have no idea why I put spring onions in the soya sauce but it was there so I assumed it would be okay to put it? ahahah! OK la. I just love spring onions. Anyway, the sushi wasn't good... Sorry but it can't even be compared to cheap sushi. It was not that fresh & wasn't even sliced properly!! Even supermarket sushi can do better. Ouch but that's the truth. Some of the slices had the fat lines hanging from the side showing that the cut wasn't sharp enough. It was really not pleasant to see or eat. The mussles were pretty tasteless & so were the oysters. That was disappointing The crab however was better the rest on that plate but still just decent as there was still some crab taste but I preferred it hot than cold. 


Bae eating away.


I wanna snap a photo also cannot because he's too busy eating. Now who's the greedy eater! :P


Clockwise: Chocolate bowl with banana filling (the one in a spoon), Churro in dark chocolate dip, Mint marshmallow, Grape gummy candy, Chocolate pop with passion fruit filling, Caramel dessert, Butter cookie with milk chocolate fondue, Chocolate cake.

After many rounds of food, we finally reached the desserts section! Although I'm not a dessert fanatic but the cute presentation just made me want to try em all! Didn't get to try everything because after trying most of the savory food, we were pretty stuffed already so we only took those that we figured we'd like.


Here's a closer look on the chocolate bowl with banana filling. Looks kind of like a mini bowl of noodles! ahahaha


So after almost 3 hours of eating, we actually almost managed everything in the buffet but I didn't snap every plate we had because we were just too busy eating. But here are a few pointers on the good food! *based on my personal opinion*

* * *

Soup section: Spicy seafood tofu soup & Roasted creamy tomato soup
The seafood soup was not too spicy or salty, very thick & gooey which looked kind of like shark fin soup. Also tasted kind of like it but it was good! The roasted tomato soup was sourish & very good as an appetizer, but I wished there was more roasted taste though. But still good!

Appetizers/ Starters section: Marinated baby octopus
This is my favourite appetizer there! It's whitish & marinated in the way similiar to red baby octopuses served in Japanese restaurants but it's a little more appetizing as it has a tinge of sourness, something like thai styled? Super appetizing & yummy! Love it!!

Grilled section: Grilled chicken with grilled vegetables
Moist & yummy herb chicken + the grilled vegetables were soft & grilled till it was a little sweet!

Cooked when ordered: Chicken kebab
The chicken kebab it doesn't look that special on the first glance but the taste gives you a punch in the mouth when you chew it after some time.

Indian section: Indian satay
There were 2 types of satays, I forgot what meat were they but both were nice! Not too dry, but I wish that it was cooked on the spot because satay only tastes best when hot!

Chinese section: Curry noodles & stir fried beef
Actually most of the chinese section dishes were all not bad. There were quite a few types of stir fried vegetables & meat, but the most standout on to me was the stir fried beef with black pepper sauce. Saucy which I loved! Not too salty or peppery & the beef was soft & tender! As for the curry noodles, you can pick your own noodles, vegetables & meat to add into your curry/chicken soup noodles. I didn't know they'll recook the meat together so mine was only filled with veges. Ahahah! But the curry was really good! Super coconuty soup, not too oily or spicy, & it was just so good! Somehow I chose veges that aren't normally in curry noodles but the broth was so good so who cares! Okay la, curry lover here so anything with curry also nice 1. Definitely would have went with a 2nd serving if I still had the space.

Desserts section: Butter cookie dipped with chocolate fondue, Chocolate bowl with banana filling (the one in a spoon), Chocolate cake & Passion fruit sorbet
Huge fan of butter cookies here so butter cookies & chocolate is a definite YUM for me! I think I've mentioned that I'm a fan of a lot of food eh... Ahaha anyway, the chocolate bowl with banana filling was a yum too! Loved that the chocolate wasn't too sweet & balanced with the banana filling as well. The tiny chocolate cake was good as it wasn't too sweet, super soft & light! Lastly, I didn't get a photo of the passion fruit sorbet but I can say it was yummy! The flavour was kind of strong with sweet & sourness, I would prefer if it was a bit more tone down but it was good! They serve a variety of a few other sorbets as well but I only tried the passion fruit one.


Here's a close up on my accesories. Don't normally wear any accesories because I just forget to wear em but special occasion mah! :D 


Me trying to be posey.


#ootd :)


Overall it was a great night of food as most of them were quite nice, however I feel like there wasn't much choice for us. To be honest, I think that it wasn't really worth the price & One World hotel's buffet is better. I've even read some reviews saying that the quality dropped. I guess it was better before but I hope they can improve on this. There were good dishes but the choices were lacking & the food could do better. Here's the location if you're still interested to go anyway!


Kuala Lumpur City Centre
50088 Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur

1 comment on "MOSAIC @ Mandarin Oriental"
  1. actually how much is the buffet? Been trying to find the prices on reviews but can't find it...

    ReplyDelete