Top Social

Terarrium DIY!

Sunday 9 August 2015


Hello guys! Have you ever wanted to lighten up your work space or room with some live plants making it less dull & dead? Well, here I have is a very simple & gorgeous do-it-yourself project for you! It only takes you 10 mins to make a small one once you've gotten a hang of it! heheh! So if you're not good at gardening at all just like me, terrariums are the easiest to do & maintain! Pretty & easy seems too good to be true but it is! Terrariums are basically mini glass containers that has live plants growing in them. It's like your mini little garden if you've got a big enough container! Some terrariums are in a closed container but you can also do it in an open container which is what I'm going to show to you today. :) But if you want to do one in a closed container, you still can but you'll need activated carbon to absorb the moisture to prevent mosses. Anyway, lets begin!


* * *

THINGS YOU'LL NEED:


1. Glass containers in any shape or size you desire.
I got the small ones from KAISON @Paradigm Mall for only RM3.50 if I'm not mistaken. The big glass container I got for only RM2 at a warehouse sale a few months ago. What a steal right!? Anyway, you'll be able to find a variety of glass containers from KAISON at a great deal if IKEA's are too pricey for you ;)


2. Assorted plants.
I got my these plants from IKEA. The set of 3 little potted plants are RM6.90 & the individual plant there is RM8.90. You can choose any type of plant for this as long as it's a small type of plant & that if you want to do a combination of a few, the type of soil they use should be similar. I would suggest you to get cactus' as they are easy to manage & tough enough to not break apart when handling it during this project.


3. Pebbles of your choice.
I suggest for you to get super small pebbles so that the soil wont run down & mess up the layering of soil & pebbles. You'll understand why when you read along. xD

4. A pair of scissors.
Preferably old / those solely for garden use as it's going to get dirty.

5. A small shovel.
I didn't have a small shovel so it got kind of messy but it's still acceptable la..

6. Soil
Soil will be based on what sort of plant you are using, if you plan to do a small terrarium, extra soil is not needed as whatever soil given in the container will be sufficient.

* * *

DIRECTIONS:


First off, fill up your glass containers with pebbles to around 1/4 to 1/3 of the height of the glass container.


Next, 


Use the shovel & gently dig out the the plant from its pot. When it's out, you can see that it looks like the photo above. I have no idea what plant is that called but I saw lots of people using it in their terrarium because of how pretty it looks & I thought, "Hey! I should put it too!" Ahahah! But it wasn't an easy task because it's super fragile & the leaves tend to just break off. Spot one of the leaves already broken off there... Hahahha!


Next, use a scissors to scrape off some soil. You can use your hands if you want to. ahahah! Just be sure to be gentle!


You don't have to scrape all the soil off, just enough to make it easier for you to stuff it into the soil. LOL. Also, Cut the roots shorter so that the roots wont grow out & become really messy. Then, just plant em' in & put them wherever you wish! Repeat these same steps & you should have your terrarium very soon!


Remember to use a scissors when handling with a super sharp cactus! :O This pricked me so many times already.


Look! All decorated nicely! Just a little messy because I accidentally spread soil on the plant. No worries, you'll just have to dust it away! :)


Done? Nope not yet! If you like it this way, you can leave it as it is but I prefer to add some pebbles on top to make it tidier.


& now we are done! Okay as you can see the soil sort of fell to the pebble layer a bit as the pebbles aren't tiny enough. So I would recommend you guys to get even smaller pebbles to avoid this from happening. My dad got a huge bag of pebbles for me so had to use it. But it's still acceptable! :D


Doesn't it look pretty?! Don't forget to wipe the inside & outside of container before decorating it in your space!


Just repeat the same steps for the mini one! So cute right?! This is definitely a great gift for friends!


Tadaa! There you go! Don't they just look lovely? Was this easy or what?!


Placed the two small ones in my room! Should have gotten two different shaped ones to it'll look nicer. But still cute even though the bottom is kind of messy hahaha! I bet you guys can do a better job than me la! Anyway, overall this D.I.Y. is probably a 1/10? You only need to get the plants into a different pot & just add pebbles! LOL! I'm the type of person that whenever I handle a plant, it either dies or doesn't grow at all. So this was pretty successful for me & I really hope the cactus lasts! Ahahaha! Anyway, go try it out guys! You only need less than RM20 to make 3 mini ones that is enough to change the feel of your room instantly! <3
Post Comment
Post a Comment